- 16 Mar 2023
- 2 Minutes to read
Amazon Web Services (AWS) - Start/Stop EC2 Instances
- Updated on 16 Mar 2023
- 2 Minutes to read
Amazon Web Services (AWS) - Start/Stop EC2 Instances either start or stop an EC2 Instance for each of the assets that are the result of the saved query supplied as a trigger.
To configure Amazon Web Services (AWS) - Start/Stop EC2 Instances, from the Action Library, click Manage AWS Services, and then click either Amazon Web Services (AWS) - Start EC2 Instances or Amazon Web Services (AWS) - Stop EC2 Instances or search for the action in the Action Library Search pane.
See Creating Enforcement Sets to learn more about adding Enforcement Actions to Enforcement Sets.
- Enforcement Set name (required) - The name of the Enforcement Set. A default value is added by Axonious. You can change the name according to your needs.
- Add description (optional) - Click to add a description of the Enforcement Set. It is recommended to describe what the Enforcement Set does.
- Run action on assets matching following query (required) - Select an asset category and a query. The Enforcement Action will be run on the assets that match the query parameters.
- A query only returns results for the asset type it was created for.
- Not all asset categories are supported for all Enforcement Actions.
- See Actions supported for Activity Logs and Adapter Fetch History Modules
- Action name - The name of the Main action. A default value is added by Axonious. You can change the name according to your needs.
- Configure Action Conditions - Toggle on to enter a condition statement. See Configuring Enforcement Action Conditions to learn more about condition statement syntax.
- AWS Access Key ID and AWS Access Key Secret (optional, default: empty) - The credentials for an account that has the Required Permissions to start or to stop EC2 instances.
- If supplied, Axonius will use the supplied account details to start or to stop EC2 instances.
- If not supplied, Axonius will use the EC2 instance (Axonius installed on) attached IAM role / instance profile to start or to stop EC2 instances.
- Proxy (optional) - An optional https proxy.
The values supplied in AWS Access Key ID and AWS Access Key Secret or the EC2 instance (Axonius installed on) attached IAM role account must have permissions to start or to stop EC2 instances:
- Start Amazon EC2 Instance - Requires ec2:StartInstances permission.
- Stop Amazon EC2 Instance - Requires ec2:StopInstances permission.
Those permissions must be added to a policy attached to relevant IAM user account.
For details on creating an IAM user and attaching policies, see Connecting the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Adapter.
Devices (EC2 instances) fetched from an Amazon Web Services (AWS) adapter connection using an assumed role can be started/stopped only if the used account has sts:AssumeRole permission and a trust relationship for has been established for that role.
For more details about other Enforcement Actions available, see Action Library.