- 24 Apr 2023
- 2 Minutes to read
VMware ESXi and vSphere
- Updated on 24 Apr 2023
- 2 Minutes to read
VMware ESXi is an enterprise-class, type-1 hypervisor for deploying and serving virtual computers.
VMware vSphere is VMware's cloud computing virtualization platform.
Types of Assets Fetched
This adapter fetches the following types of assets:
Host (required) - The hostname of a specific ESX server or of the vSphere server.
If a vSphere server hostname is supplied, the connection for this adapter will pull information about all ESX servers managed by that vSphere server.
User Name and Password (required) - The credentials for a user account that has the permissions to fetch assets. The user name format is user@domain.
For details, see the Creating a User in vCenter section.
vCenter REST API URL (optional) - The URL of the vCenter, created using input from the Host value. It should be in the format
Verify SSL - Select whether to verify the SSL certificate of the server against the CA database inside of Axonius. For more details, see SSL Trust & CA Settings.
To learn more about common adapter connection parameters and buttons, see Adding a New Adapter Connection.
Advanced settings can either apply for all connections for this adapter, or you can set different advanced settings and/or different scheduling for a specific connection, refer to Advanced Configuration for Adapters.
- Fetch only turned on machines
- If enabled, all connections for this adapter will only fetch ESXi devices in which their power state is turned on.
- If disabled, all connections for this adapter will fetch all ESXi devices, regardless of their power state.
- Exclude IPv6 addresses - Select whether to fetch IPv6 addresses.
- If enabled, all connections for this adapter will fetch only IPv4 addresses.
- If disabled, all connections for this adapter will fetch both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.
- Use UUID as manufacturer serial number - Select whether to fill the 'device_manufacturer_serial' field with the value of the UUID.
- Use formatted UUID as preferred serial number (default: false) - Select this option so that the Preferred Serial Number (and the Device Manufacturer Serial) for the ESX device will have a value with the format
VMware-xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx-xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx
where the x’s are the characters of the UUID.
- Fetch snapshots (required, default false) - Select this option to fetch snapshots from Virtual Machines.
For details on general advanced settings under the Adapter Configuration tab, see Adapter Advanced Settings.
Axonius uses the vCenter API to fetch information about virtual devices, ESX hosts and local accounts.
Creating a User in vCenter
- Log in to vCenter as an administrator.NOTE
The screenshots below were taken from the vSphere Client.
- Select Menu > Administration.
- From the left menu, click Users and Groups. Under the Users tab, from the Domain field, select the domain. Then click Add User.
- Fill in the relevant details.
- From the left menu, click Global Permissions and add a 'Read-only' permission to the created user. Select the Propagate to children checkbox. To fetch Users (Local Accounts) a super administrator role is required.
This adapter has only been tested with the versions marked as supported, but may work with other versions. Please contact Axonius Support if you have a version that is not listed and it is not functioning as expected.
|VMWare Versions 6.0 - 7.0||Yes||Users supported from vCenter 6.7 and higher.|