- 19 May 2022
- 6 Minutes to read
- Updated on 19 May 2022
- 6 Minutes to read
The Tanium Asset adapter provides an inventory of hardware and software assets including servers, laptops, and desktops for thorough insight
- Hostname or IP Address (required) - The Hostname or IP address of the Tanium server that Axonius can communicate with via the Required Ports. This adapter supports both on-premise and Tanium Cloud instances. When connecting to a Tanium Cloud instance, "-api" must be added to the end of the subdomain of your Tanium Cloud instance. For example: "domain.cloud.tanium.com" should be entered as "domain-api.cloud.tanium.com".
- User Name or API Token ID (required) - The credentials for a user account that has the Required Permissions to fetch assets. If an API token is being used for authentication, this must be the ID of the API token. The Token ID column in Tanium may be hidden.
- Password or API Token (required) - The credentials for a user account that has the Required Permissions to fetch assets. If an API token is being used for authentication, this must be the API token string.
- When connecting to a Tanium Cloud instance, an API token must be used.
- When creating an API token in Tanium, the default value for "Expire in Days" is 7. It is recommended to set this value to the maximum allowed value of 365.
- There is support in Axonius for auto-rotation of API Tokens - please contact email@example.com in order to enable this feature for your instance.
- Please see the Tanium Documention on Managing API tokens for more information.
- Verify SSL (required, default: False) - Verify the SSL certificate offered by the value supplied in Hostname or IP Address. For more details, see SSL Trust & CA Settings.
- If enabled, the SSL certificate offered by the value supplied in Hostname or IP Address will be verified against the CA database inside of Axonius. If the SSL certificate can not be validated against the CA database inside of Axonius, the connection will fail with an error.
- If disabled, the SSL certificate offered by the value supplied in Hostname or IP Address will not be verified against the CA database inside of Axonius.
- HTTPS Proxy (optional, default: empty) - A proxy to use when connecting to the value supplied in Hostname or IP Address.
- If supplied, Axonius will utilize the proxy when connecting to the value supplied in Hostname or IP Address.
- If not supplied, Axonius will connect directly to the value supplied in Hostname or IP Address.
- For details on the common adapter connection parameters and buttons, see Adding a New Adapter Connection.
The Tanium Asset adapter has advanced settings which control the logic for fetching assets.
- Number of assets to fetch per page (required, default: 200) - Control the number of assets that are fetched per page.
- Number of seconds to wait in between each page fetch (required, default: 1) - Control the number of seconds to wait in between each page.
- Devices to exclude by host name (optional, default: Empty) - A comma seperated list of device host names to exclude.
- Devices to exclude by model (optional, default: Empty) - A comma seperated list of device models to exclude.
- Devices to exclude by domain (optional, default: Empty) - A comma seperated list of device domain names to exclude.
- Populate Dynamic Attributes (optional, default: False) - Dynamically create fields in Axonius for all attributes returned by Tanium Asset.
- If enabled, adapter specific fields will be dynamically created in Axonius for all attributes returned for each asset with the appropriately mapped type as defined in Tanium.
- If disabled, adapter specific fields will not be dynamically created in Axonius.
For details on general advanced settings under the Adapter Configuration tab, see Adapter Advanced Settings.
Axonius must be able to communicate with the value supplied in Hostname or IP Address via the following ports:
- TCP port 443: REST API
Required Module Permissions
A Module Role named Asset Report Reader exists that provides these Module Permissions:
- Asset Report Read
Assigning Required Permissions
- Log in to the value supplied in Hostname or IP Address with an account that has the permissions necessary to edit users.
- In the navigation menu:
- Go to the Administration > Users page.
- In the Users Page:
- Select the value supplied in User Name from the list of users.
- Click View User.
- In the User Administration page in the Roles and Effective Permissions section:
- Click Edit Roles.
- In the Assign Roles page in the Role Management > Grant Roles section:
- Click Edit.
- In the Edit Grant Roles dialog window:
- Select the role named Asset Report Reader.
- Click Save.
- In the Assign Roles page:
- Click Show Preview to Continue.
- Click Save.
- In the Notice dialog window:
- Click Continue.
- The User Administration page should look like this:
- Perform the steps in Verifying Permissions
- Log in to the value supplied in Hostname or IP Address with the values supplied in User Name and Password.
- In the navigation menu:
- Go to the Asset page.
- In the Asset menu of the Asset page:
- Go to the Reports page.
- In the Asset Reports page:
- Click the All Assets report
The following tables show how values are mapped to fields in Axonius.
|asset: ci_applicable_patch||OS Available Security Patches|
|asset: ci_installed_application||Installed Software|
|asset: ci_custom_tags||Adapter Tags|
|asset: ci_logical_disk||Hard Drives|
|asset: ci_network_adapter||Network Interfaces|
|asset: ci_windows_installer_application||Installed Software|
|asset: computer_id, asset: system_uuid, asset: serial_number, asset: id||ID|
|asset: cpu_core||CPU: Cores|
|asset: cpu_manufacturer||CPU: Manufacturer|
|asset: cpu_name||CPU: Description|
|asset: cpu_speed||CPU: Clockspeed (GHZ)|
|asset: created_at||First Seen|
|asset: email||Email Address|
|asset: last_seen_at||Last Seen|
|asset: manufacturer||Device Manufacturer|
|asset: model||Device Model|
|asset: os_platform||OS: Platform|
|asset: os_version||OS: Build|
|asset: ram||Total RAM (GB)|
|asset: serial_number||Device Manufacturer Serial|
|asset: service_pack||OS: Service Pack|
|asset: updated_at||Last Seen|
|asset: uptime||Uptime (Days)|
|asset: user_name||Last Used Users|
|asset: virtual_host||Is Virtual Host|
|asset: ci_custom_tags||Custom Tags|
Adapter Specific Fields
|asset: ci_application_last_used_time||Application Last Used Time|
|asset: ci_sql_server||SQL Server|
|asset: city||Asset City|
|asset: cloudTags||Asset Chassis Type|
|asset: computer_id||Asset Computer ID|
|asset: country||Asset Country|
|asset: created_at||Asset Created At|
|asset: department||Asset Department|
|asset: disk_total_space||Asset Total Disk Space (GB)|
|asset: display_adapter_count||Asset Number of Display Adapters|
|asset: id||Asset ID|
|asset: last_seen_at||Asset Last Seen At|
|asset: number_of_fixed_drive||Asset Number of Fixed Drives|
|asset: number_of_logical_processor||Asset Number of Logical Processors|
|asset: operating_system||Asset OS|
|asset: os_platform||Asset OS Platform|
|asset: os_version||Asset OS Version|
|asset: phone_number||Asset Phone Number|
|asset: service_pack||Asset OS Service Pack|
|asset: updated_at||Asset Updated At|
|asset: user_name||Asset User Name|
|Tanium Server||Tanium Server Name, Tanium Server Version, Module Version|
This adapter has only been tested with the versions marked as supported, but may work with other versions. Please contact Axonius Support if you have a version that is not listed and it is not functioning as expected.
|Tanium versions prior to 7.3.314.3424||No||This adapter utilizes the REST API, which was added in Tanium 7.3.314.3424|
Asset Module Versions
Modules within Tanium have their own version which is separate from the platform version.
|Asset Module 1.6.5.0002||Yes|
|Asset Module 1.8.0.0078||Yes|
|Asset Module 1.9.1.0007||Yes|