- 1 minute to read
Specops Inventory collects and reports information on hardware, software, registry, user settings, operating system, security data, and Active Directory data.
The Specops Inventory adapter uses SQL to fetch information about devices. It requires the following parameters:
- MSSQL Server- The DNS / IP Address of the SQL Server your Specops Inventory instance is using (they may be installed on the same server).
- Port (Optional)
- Database - The name of the database inside the SQL Server
- User Name and Password - Username and password with read permissions for this DB.
To connect to the SQL Server to create such a user, you can use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio. If you don't have it on your local machine, you can probably find it on the machine the SQL Server is installed on.
After connecting to the server as an admin, you should do the following:
- In case you don't have the name of your database, expand the Databases folder which shows all the databases in this server. Your database should appear here.
- Navigate to the Security folder and expand it. Right-click the Logins folder and choose New Login.
- After choosing New Login, create a user using "SQL Server Authentication". Fill in the details and select your database from the Default Database List.
- Navigate to the User Mapping page, and check the check box for the database that your login can access. In the Database role membership list, leave the default option public selected, and select the db_datareader check box.
Click OK and create the user.
Reconnect with the new user to validate that it was indeed created (File -> Connect Object Explorer)