Connecting Additional Axonius Nodes
- 2 minutes to read
On partially connected networks, Axonius allows the creation of additional nodes and connecting them to one master node. This architecture enables fetching data from networks with limited connectivity or strict firewall rules.
To connect an additional node, the following are required:
- An additional Axonius node must be installed on the partially connected network, with the same Axonius release version as the Axonius master node.
- Communication from the additional Axonius node to the Axonius master node must be open in ports
TCP/6783, UDP/6783, UDP/6784
Connecting an Additional Node
- Deploy an Axonius node into the additional network and start the machine. There is no need to login to the Axonius GUI.
- Log into the master Axonius node, and go to the Instances screen. The Instances screen opens, displaying the installed Axonius instances, that includes tagged name, hostname, IP address, last seen and the status (activated/deactivated) of each instance.
To connect an additional node, click Connect Node.
You should see a message box that instructs you how to connect an additional node to the master node. This involves logging into the node machine with ssh credentials 'node_maker:M@ke1tRain' and then typing a connection string that looks like this:
[Axonius-Hostname] [Secret Token] [User-Nickname]
Axonius-Hostname - Specify the IP/hostname of the Master node, which is accessible from the additional node.
Secret Token - Copy and paste the secret token above, which was generated by the master node.
User-Nickname - Specify a name for the additional node, e.g. 'node-1'.
An example of a connection string could be:
10.0.7.43 oBB9aaOTC2Sh88i0pDv5IE5x0LeOXFHH node-1
Once you paste the connection string, wait a few minutes until the node connects. You should see a success message when this happens, and an additional node is added in the Instances screen with an Activated status.
As a result, you can now configure any adapter to utilize the newly added Axonius node.
Deactivating and Reactivating Nodes
To deactivate an activated node:
- From the Instances screen, select one or more activated Axonius nodes. The Deactivate action button is displayed.
- Click Deactivate. Once confirmed:
* All the adapter connections utilizing the selected Axonius node(s) are removed.
* The status of all selected Axonius node(s) is updated as Deactivated.
To reacticated a deactivated node:
- From the Instances screen, select one or more deactivated Axonius nodes. The Reactivate action button is displayed.
- Click Reactivate. Once confirmed, the status of all selected Axonius node(s) is updated as Activated.
Renaming Instances and Hostnames
To allow you to manage your Instances better you can rename the Instances as well as the Hostnames
To rename an Instance:
- From the Instances screen, click on an Instance.
- Popup will show to rename the Instance Name or Hostname
* The Hostname field should not include spaces or special chars.