- 21 Jan 2024
- 3 Minutes to read
BlueCat Enterprise DNS
- Updated on 21 Jan 2024
- 3 Minutes to read
BlueCat Enterprise DNS connects all disparate DNS and DHCP with centralized management of all clients and critical assets.
Types of Assets Fetched
This adapter fetches the following types of assets:
- Host (required) – The URL of the BlueCat management server (e.g., https://bluecat.company.com)
- User Name and Password (required) – Specify valid username and password, that are dependent on the connection option you have chosen:
- API - Username and password must be created in BlueCat. The user account must have the “API User” privilege assigned. Please see details below.
- Database connection - Username and password with read permissions for the configured database. The best practice is to create a designated user for Axonius usage.
- Verify SSL - Select whether to verify the SSL certificate of the server against the CA database inside of Axonius. For more details, see SSL Trust & CA Settings.
- Connect to Database (required, default: False) - Choose whether to use an API or database connection to fetch data from BlueCat.
- Database Port and Database Name (optional) - Database port and name are mandatory if you have chosen to use database connection to fetch data from BlueCat.
For details on the common adapter connection parameters and buttons, see Adding a New Adapter Connection.
Advanced settings can either apply for all connections for this adapter, or you can set different advanced settings and/or different scheduling for a specific connection, refer to Advanced Configuration for Adapters
Time in seconds to sleep between each request (optional, default: 0) - Specify sleeping time in seconds between each API request Axonius sends to BlueCat.
Get extra host data (required, default: True)
- If enabled, all connections for this adapter will fetch devices extended host data.
- If disabled, all connections for this adapter will not fetch devices extended host data.
Parse Address Name as HostName for DHCP records - Select this option to use the Address Name as the HostName for DNS records.
Enforce Asset Name Uniqueness - Select to use address IP to enforce asset name uniqueness.
Drop static/gateway records with no expiry time (required, default: True)
- If enabled, all connections for this adapter will not fetch static/gateway records without expiry time.
- If disabled, all connections for this adapter will fetch static/gateway records without expiry time.
Entities per page (required, default: 100) - Set the number of results per page received for a given query to BlueCat API, to gain better control on the performance of all connections for this adapter.
Exclude no 'Last Seen' devices (required, default: False) - Select whether to exclude devices that do not have 'last seen' indication.
Exclude by Network CIDR or Network Name - Enter a comma-separated list of strings that represent a network CIDR or network name in Bluecat. If the device is part of these networks then it will be excluded from the fetch.Note:
If a string contains a comma inside it, you must put the string itself into double quotes.
Non-Expiring device states include list (optional, default STATIC, GATEWAY) - When the expiry_time is null then enter statuses by which to filter devices. Only devices whose status are in this list will be fetched. Examples include: UNALLOCATED, STATIC, DHCP_ALLOCATED, DHCP_FREE, DHCP_RESERVED,
DHCP_LEASED, RESERVED, GATEWAY. Enter 'None' to include devices with a null/None state or assets with no expiry time. Find a list of valid values in BlueCat Enterprise DNS documentation
Invalid device states exclude list - Enter statuses that the adapter will not fetch. Networks in these states will not be fetched.
Fetch IPv6 entities (networks/addresses) - Select this option to fetch IPv6 entities, either networks or addresses.
For details on general advanced settings under the Adapter Configuration tab, see Adapter Advanced Settings.
Creating User for Axonius in BlueCat
The user account in Step 2 can be created by accessing the “Administration” and “Users and Groups” sections of the BlueCat management UI.
Please ensure the user account has the “API User” permissions assigned to a read only group.