- 4 minutes to read
The Adapters screen displays the list of the solutions Axonius integrates with, called adapters.
To open the Adapters screen, click the icon on the left navigation panel.
You can toggle between viewing all available adapters and the adapters that have connections configured. Click the Configured Only toggle button to show only the adapters that have connections configured.
Each adapter entry includes the adapter name, logo and description, and each record is highlighted in one of the following colors:
- Green ( icon) - all the adapter connections are successfully connected.
- Orange ( icon) - there is a connection error in at least one of the configured adapter connection
- Grey - the adapter is not connected
A number to the left of the adapter displays the number of configured connections that:
- Have no connection issues with a green circle above it ().
- Have connection issues with a red triangle above it ().
Connecting adapters enable Axonius to pull assets information from many sources across the organization, including:
Agent adapters provide Axonius with the data to determine whether devices are being managed according to policy. Agents include:
- IT Agents - such as Tanium and IBM BigFix.
- Endpoint Protection Platform (EPP) agents - such as CylancePROTECT, Carbon Black CB Defense/Protection/Response, Symantec Endpoint Protection and McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO)
- Configuration/Patch Management solutions - such as Chef and Puppet.
Identity adapters provide Axonius the data for the identities used in the organization, examples are Microsoft Active Directory (AD) and Okta.
Networking adapters provide Axonius with data on devices connecting through the networks, identifying the networking location of devices and discovering unmanaged devices.
Some networking adapters connect directly to switches, such as Cisco, Juniper Junos, Aruba and Fortinet Fortigate. Others connect to a networking management solution like Cisco Prime, Infoblox DDI and RedSeal.
Vulnerability Assessment Solutions
Vulnerability assessment solutions, such as Tenable.io, Qualys Cloud Platform and Rapid7 Nexpose are also part of the networking view.
Virtualization and Cloud
Virtualization and Cloud adapters provide Axonius with data on the virtual assets in the environment:
- Local virtualization systems - such as VMWare ESXi and Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Public cloud environments like Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure.
To connect a new adapter, please provide the needed access credentials. The details will vary by adapter, but will include some combination of:
- IP Addresses
- User Names
- Key Files
- Any other credentials needed to access the adapters being used
For example, the Amazon Web Services (AWS) adapter configuration screen:
Adding a New Adapter Connection
To add an adapter connection, do the following:
- Open the Adapters screen. Click the icon on the left navigation panel.
- Search and click the relevant adapter. The Adapter Connections screen opens displaying the list of configured connections.
- To add a new connection, click New Connection. The Adapter Connection Configuration modal opens.
- Populate the required information.
To test the reachability of the configured domain or IP address, click Test Reachability.
To save your changes and to establish a connection to the adapter connection using the configured credentials, click Save and Connect.
As a result, the connection will be established and the adapter will start collecting data.
If the adapter connection is connected successfully, icon is displayed on the adapter connection record.
If the connection has failed, error icon appears.
To see the connection error reason and to fix the configuration, open the Adapter Connection Configuration modal, by clicking the connection record.
When connecting adapters, note that:
- Most of the adapters include documented connection instructions. To view such instructions, click
- You can connect multiple connections. For example, to connect multiple Microsoft Active Directory (AD) domain controllers, configure a different connection for each domain controller.
- When the Axonius VM connects to these connections, it must have connectivity to that address, i.e. it must be able to connect to that IP/URL on that port.
- All fields not marked as 'optional' are mandatory and must be populated
- In addition to the adapter connection configuration settings, each adapter has 'Advanced Settings' used to support your use of Axonius. For more details, see Adapter Advanced Settings.